Quick Breadsticks from Scratch
Soft, fluffy breadsticks pair perfectly with everything from pasta dishes to soups or salads. Our incredibly simple recipe requires no special equipment and comes together in just one hour.
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon (or 1 packet) quick-rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing
- Garlic salt, optional
- Mix the dough—In a large bowl, mix together water, yeast, sugar, salt, and 3 cups of flour. It may seem like the wet and dry ingredients don’t want to combine, but keep stirring and they will come together. Continue gradually adding flour and stirring until dough clears the sides of bowl and begins to form ball. Turn out onto floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes. Dough will be soft and slightly sticky. Return dough to bowl to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough—Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a nonstick baking sheet. Turn dough out onto a lightly greased countertop and pat into a large rectangle. Cut dough into 1-inch strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Twist strips and place about 1/2-inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Let breadsticks rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake the breadsticks—While dough is rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush tops of breadsticks with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Transfer pan to preheated oven and bake breadsticks until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Get creative with toppings to craft your signature breadsticks. Parmesan and black pepper, rosemary and sea salt, sesame seeds, everything bagel seasoning—the possibilities are endless.
Our GreenPan Ceramic Nonstick Cookie Sheets bake breadsticks to crisp perfection. Plus, the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.