30-Minute Steamed Mussels
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cans (20 to 30 ounces) no salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- Make the broth—Heat olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Add garlic and sauté, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned. Add tomatoes, then increase heat to high, stirring for an additional minute. Add wine and red pepper flakes, if using, and bring broth to a boil.
- Steam the mussels—Add mussels to broth, cover, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, occasionally shaking the pan vigorously. When mussels are open, they’re done. Discard any that remain closed.
- Garnish and serve—Transfer mussels to serving bowl and ladle broth over them. Sprinkle with parsley and the juice of half a lemon. Enjoy immediately.
Before starting, remove any sand or seaweed from mussels with a stiff brush under running water. Tough barnacles? Simply scrape them off with the shell of another mussel.